Recipe: Mixed Berry Cake

Is there anything better than eating cake for breakfast? Yes, actually, several things come to mind, but cake for breakfast is pretty good, especially when it looks this pretty. 


I like to pre-measure and lay out all of my ingredients before starting, just so I can make sure I have everything I need and it makes the process a little easier when you start to combine the ingredients. 


For this recipe you'll need:

1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
12 oz. bag of frozen mixed berries


You can use a stand mixer or just a regular bowl and electric mixer. Since I was at my parents' house, I wanted to take advantage of having a stand mixer. I microwaved the unsalted butter for a few seconds to soften it. Then put it into the mixer with the sugar. 


Beat for a couple of minutes until it becomes creamy and well combined. 


Add the egg and vanilla while the mixer is still going. 


In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. 


Slowly, so that you don't end up in a cloud of flour, add the dry mixture to the wet while the mixer is going. 


Next, add the buttermilk.


Pour the batter into a 9-inch greased baking pan. It may seem like a lot of batter, but it will rise significantly while baking in the oven. 



Next, add the frozen berries to the cake batter. placing them on top will cause the cake to rise around the berries and they will sink into the batter during the baking process.


I just love the colors of mixed berries. Although very messy, it is still very pretty. 


Add a sprinkling of sugar for a little added sweetness to balance out the tart berries.


Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes. You can test the doneness by poking a toothpick into the cake once the timer goes off. If it comes out clean, you're good to go. 


Now I can think of a million things I'd rather do while waiting for the cake to bake, but the dishes were calling my name. 


Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool down. I loosened the edges of the cake with a butter knife before flipping it onto a cake plate. I flipped it over completely, and then realized that all of the berries were at the top of the cake, which was now the bottom of the cake, so I had to flip it back over. 


To make it extra pretty and add a touch more sweetness, you can dust the top with some powdered sugar. 


And here is the finished product! You can make this cake using any type of frozen fruit. A couple of delicious variations that come to mind are using frozen pineapple and adding a coconut frosting, or a frozen blueberries with a little bit of lemon juice and zest mixed into the batter. 

This is a very customizable cake, but the most important part is that you can eat it for breakfast and not feel completely guilty about it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.